Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

TDAP

HI - I've actually had a few people ask me about TDAP.. so I thought I'd share.

The TDAP is a vaccination that covers tetanus, diptheira, and pertussis. The CDC recommends that people get it if they are going to be around infants. (I hope to be around my own infant in the relatively near future, so that includes me.

Here's the copy-paste from the website:

The second bullet applies to me. I bet they do it in the hospital if you haven't had it before you take your baby home.

if you can get this shot before, I recommend it. I'll warn you something that no one told me.. it hurts like HE-double hockey sticks in the arm.. For.Like.Three.Days. Seriously. I had no idea. I guess it hurts like a tetanus shot, but I don't think I've ever had one.

Anyway, the nurse coordinator was like, ok, you got yout TDAP shot? Did they give you any sheet that I can put in your file? Carlos is like, I can vouch for it. She got it. I hear about it, like every hour.

It's true. I was quite the big baby about my arm hurting. well, and also my boobs were sore and my tummy was hurting too. Have I mentioned that?
  • To prevent spread of pertussis among infants: Adults who have or who anticipate having close contact with an infant <1>
  • Prior to pregnancy: Any woman of childbearing age who might become pregnant is encouraged to receive a single dose of Tdap if she has not previously received Tdap.
  • Immediately Post-partum: Tdap is recommended for women, including those who are breastfeeding, if they have not previously received Tdap. The postpartum Tdap should be administered before discharge from the hospital or birthing center or as soon as feasible.


http://www.systoc.com/newscomments/news/Jan2007/Tdap.asp

1 comment:

Heide said...

I recently had a TDAP (January!) and I can vouch that my arm was sore for about 2-3 days. Not sure I'd go so far as to say it was H-E- double hockey sticks, though... you crack me up! LOL! You know you only have to get it once, right?